Wednesday, March 05, 2008

So I have seen a lot of different posts about home births and I just wanted to put in my two cents. When Lauren was born she had breathed in her meconium during the birth, and spent 3 days in the N.I.C.U. If she had been born at home the time it would have taken to get her to the hospital would have probably resulted in brain damage. My sister who works in the N.I. has babies all the time that need attention immediately. Fifteen minutes is the difference between life and death, or brain damage. These are babies who had perfect sonograms, but things happen all the time that are unexpected. If these babies are born in the hospital they can be healthy with no ill effects. My sister after seeing everything she's seen wouldn't deliver in a hospital without an N.I. I know some of you are saying my baby would have been perfectly healthy. But that's not the point. Some babies are not, and you cannot predict meconium or any other complication before hand. The percentage is small by why risk it.
I know that some people will say that women have been having babies for thousands of years. This is true, but childbirth used to be the biggest killer of women. And it was common for mothers to have one or more of their children die due to complications from birth. Just look at Afghanistan today, the percentage of women dying in childbirth is alarming. I agree that c-sections and pitosin are used more than necessary, but take a step back. Women all over the world would love to have that problem. In Africa women walk hundreds of miles to give birth in a hospital. The rise of c-sections is two-fold- One dr.s have to show they took some sort of action if they are sued. And O.B.'s are sued the most. So doctors are going to fault on that side. People expect perfect babies and sue if they don't get one. Second women want c-sections so it can be scheduled, they don't want natural childbirth, and they want to have the baby early to avoid stretch marks.
We are so spoiled in America to complain about c-sections, pitosin, heart monitors. All these things were invented to save lives, and they do. The thing is, it is easy to blame dr.s and not take any responsibility for ourselves. Your heath care is a partnership, you need to be informed and make your choices be know. You don't have to have a c-section, or pitosin, or a heart monitor, or even an I.V. If you don't like your nurse ask for a new one. Who cares if they think your a b****.
Find a dr. or mid-wife who understands your wishes. But even the most trained dr. cannot help your baby if you are not at the hospital. I think that we have a long way to go, to get childbirth were it should be. But it should be a positive dialogues, because we are blessed to give birth in the U.S.
The second thing I want to comment on is that dr.s give women c-section to make more money. Or the only reason you are treated well at the hospital is because you know someone who works there. That is so offensive to me. Most people have no idea what it takes to be a dr. The time and money is staggering. When people express this idea that dr.s are just in it for money, you are questioning my husbands ethics. I know a lot of drs,some are very arrogant, have horrible bed-side manner, but I know of only 2 who are in it for money, and even they wouldn't do anything to hurt someone to make more money. My husband devoted almost his entire adult life to becoming a dr. And when people make these statements they are disregarding everything he has done, and all the sacrifice our family has made
he can serve his patients, and be a wonderful dr. The amount of time and money it takes to be a dr. pretty much weeds out the incompetent(there are still some) and the money hungry. The H.M.O.'s are really the ones making the money. I'm not going to say that Kyle doesn't make good money but we aren't rich.
And finally I want to say that I had wonderful nurses who treated me great because they are professionals and care about their patients. So thank you Barbara and Jen, and all the nurses in the N.I. who took care of Lauren. I know your not perfect but I will defend your integrity and care for your patients.
I know it was long but I had to get it off my chest.

8 comments:

Ryan, Jane, Nate and Zach said...

Yowzas Deanne!
You speak your mind well, I totally agree with you - who wants to clean up a delivery mess in your house anyways? Yuck. Let's hear it for doctors and nurses - woo, woo!

Jessica said...

I totally agree about speaking your mind and developing a partnership with your doctor. I wish I had stood up for myself more when I had my babies, but I was too chicken. You still have to watch that movie though, it is really interesting.

Reynolds Family said...

Deanne,
I agree with you about this issue. If I had been at home when I had Ethan, we could have both died. McKenna had meconium like Lauren, but the Dr. I had noticed it in the water before she was born. I didn't even notice the respitory team setting up in my room to work on her as soon as she was born(while I was still delivering), but I know how much they helped her. Seth had evaluations in the hospital by and ortho Dr. and a genetic dr. within and hour of being born. For me, that is 3/4 children who absolutely needed to be born at a hospital for totally different reasons, and I will always be thankful for the doctors and nurses who helped us!
Jen

The Corbett's said...

Thank you Deanne!!!!! Two of the greatest moments in my nursing career will always be being there for you and Kyle when Isabelle and Sophia came into this world. Thank you for allowing me to be part of that special time. :)

Matt, Becky, Eric, Ryan, and Kelly said...

I sure hope my comment about getting good treatment due to "knowing someone" didn't offend you. I didn't mean any disrespect at all, but for some reason feel the need to explain anyway. I really do get preferential treatment when I'm at a certain hospital. My aunt is pretty high up and various staff are told to treat my family very well. My aunt makes sure of some of it and then other times it is a way to impress her. I ended up with special gifts and exra things during my stays. Even my ER visits were "taken care of". I do not mean to say that others do not get good care, I simply am saying I get extra comfort measures to make my stays very nice. I guess nepotism exists everywhere.

As for the rest of your very well said post - I cannot say I disagree with you on your reasons against homebirth. Doctors and hospitals are obviously effective and important. My sister is in nursing school and I have many family members in the health care profession - I have high respect for medical staff. Other than 2 horrible OBs and 1 even worse nurse, I have always been treated very well. The key to good care is open communication and mutual respect between staff and patients. I just think the birth climate inside hospitals is a little too medicalized to begin with. Many run of the mill procedures are unnessecary and run risk. I wish that communication between docs, nurses, and patients was more open and that education regarding treatment was more readily available so that moms' choices were well informed. It would help if policy didn't get in the way of mom's wishes. I think that if hospitals didn't approach birth with such a medicalized view and actually supported natural options, that the homebirth movement wouldn't be so strong right now. I wish I had had the opportunity to birth in a birthing center so I'd have had the best of both worlds.

Oh and :) :) to Jane. Your comment made me laugh cuz I was all worried about the mess I'd have in my car - and there was none! Probably not the norm, but I had a damp towel and that's it - no stains or anything!!

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle said...

Amen Sister! You go girl!
Boy that Jen Corbett sure gets around:)
I second Jane for the Doctors and Nurses:)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Deanne. I totally agree with you. Particularly because we do have access to such great health care in this country, we should take advantage of it. Noah was born by emergency C-section. Who knows what may have happened to him or I had we decided to try a home birth.

And we did have one bad night nurse and we asked for a different one the next night. It is important to have a hand in your own health care, I agree.

Right on to you for this post.

And Kyle really is a great doctor. When I saw him at the ER at San Antonio, he was super helpful and knew exactly what was wrong. In fact, I'm thinking of switching our family to him as our doctor. I have faith we'd be in good hands.